- Black Echo (Crime)- among the best crime fiction novels. Nobody does it better than Michael
- Citizens of London (History) - more WWII (a trend?) but the suffering and valour of the Brits and the Americans who were with them is a great read.
- Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter (Mystery)- a satisfyingly complete novel – great characters, great sense of place, great story
- Room (Contemporary Fiction)- a ripped from the headlines story so imaginatively told, short listed for the Mann-Booker.
- The Eyre Affair (Fantasy)- great fun in a literary fantasy series
- The Immoral Life of Henrietta Lacks (History) - a must read for medical professionals but something for everyone in this story of medicine, ethics, civil rights and family history.
- The Rembrandt Affair (International spy thriller) - a spy story with the emotional depth, plot twists, realism, suspense and philosophical thought.
- The Thousand Autumns of Jacob deZoet - (Historical Fiction) at its best. Visit 18th century Japan, immerse your self in the culture and enjoy the story.
- Unbroken (History) - anytime you become impatient in traffic or with long lines at the airport give a thought to what these men went through in the Pacific theater in WWII. An incredible story, elegantly told.
- Wild Swans (History) - China through the 20th century told through a family story
So what books hit your top ten list? I have avoided calling any one book my favorite of the year, but do you have one?